from Boston, Massachusetts
Barney & Smith Car Co. (1895)
|Retired from Service|
|Acquired by the Museum|
No. 1059 was built for the West End Street Railway of Boston by the Barney & Smith Car Company of Dayton, Ohio, in 1895. It also had open platforms at first, with vestibules enclosed sometime between 1901 and 1905 in accordance with a 1900 act of the Massachusetts Legislature. This required all cars regularly operated during the months of December, January, February and March to have enclosed platform vestibules for the protection of the motormen. The type of enclosure was known as the "West End Front" and consisted of one small window on wither side of a large center sash, fabricated with a "bay window" effect to allow for the swing of the hand brake handle. Folding doors replaced the swinging gates that were previously used.
Converted to a fare box transport car in 1916 and a rail grinder in 1935, No. 1059 came to Seashore in 1952.
Historic Cars: The National Collection at the Seashore Trolley Museum by Ben Minnich
Manufacturer: Barney & Smith Car Co.
Item Type: City and Suburban Streetcar
|Trucks: 1 West End 57E
||Motors: 2 General Electric 86
|Length: 29' 8"
||Width: 7' 7"
||Height: 11' 5"
||Weight: 19382 lbs.